Glen Lake Tower by Balance Associates Architects
High on a wooded hilltop above a lake in Michigan, the Tower House is the result of an inspiring collaboration between Balance Associates, clients with a passion for architecture as well as their site, and a skilled local contractor.
Description by Balance Associates Architects
Directed to create “a sustainable retreat that reflects the timeless beauty and simple comforts of the area,” the architects responded by raising the primary living space above the dense surrounding woods in order to gain light, air and views of Glen Lake and Lake Michigan beyond. Two fin-like, metal-clad walls rise from the crown of the hill to support a 1400 sf three-story plywood box suspended a full story above grade.
As intricately detailed steel stairs climb the tower, they move from exterior to interior and from more enclosed to more open spaces, culminating in a breathtaking, glass-wrapped kitchen/living/dining space at the fourth level. Here, thirty feet above the ground, the clients enjoy views of the landscape they love, from either the birch-lined interior or expansive cantilevered decks.
- Podlich Home by Rui Rosa Designs
- House in San Francisco by Vaso Peritos Interior Design
- Retreat in Sweden by Bjurfors Home
- Summer House by Anttinen Oiva Architects
- Modern Bachelor by Contour Interior Design
- Summer Retreat by Mindful Designs
- Retreat in Paluzza by Ceschia & Mentil
- Lundnäs House by Delin Arkitektkontor
- Lone Madrone Retreat by Heliotrope Architects
- Firefly by Unique Home Stays