Walnut Residence by Modal Design
Original 2,700 square foot two-storey singe family residence designed by Modal Design situated in Venice, California.
Description by Modal Design
This project mediates the poetics of light and architectural form against technological and ecological demands of contemporary building practices.
By integrating traditional design methodologies with CNC fabrication, the distance between architect and builder is collapsed to allow for maximum control in articulating the porosity of the building’s cor-ten skin as it negotiates between public and private space. Folded, water-jet cut panels obfuscate views from the exterior while curating light into the interior space necessitated by programmatic needs.
To minimize the building’s impact, efficient design practices and sustainable systems are used throughout. The home is carefully sited to preserve an old-growth pine in the rear yard, which provides generous shade to the main living space and serves as an organizational hub for the exterior program. A glass wall opens to the backyard creating a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor living space.
- Modern Bachelor by Contour Interior Design
- Cowrie Road Home by MG Design & Building
- White House by In2
- Fisher Island by Associated Design Co
- Marin Residence by Dawson & Clinton
- Cozy Home by Ruetemple
- Loft in San Diego by Hawkins + Hawkins Architects
- Cabin Norderhov by Atelier Oslo
- House Hohlen by Jochen Specht
- Le 205 by Atelier Moderno