Apartment in Amsterdam by MAMM Design
Designed in 2013 by Japanese MAMM Design, this fresh 1,432 sq ft apartment is situated in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Description by MAMM Design
This is a renovation project of a duplex unit in an 85-year-old housing for a family of four. Since they have not been brought up in Amsterdam where they have a lot of gloomy weather, their request was to have maximum sunlight in the house. And also they want to have a space where they can feel each other.
Originally, there is a skylight at the top of staircase which connects upper and lower floors. Though the staircase itself was filled with sunlight coming from the skylight, the stairs and walls around them prevent the light from entering into the other part of the house. We took away the stairs, walls and a part of the upper floor’s slab, so that the sunlight can spread into all over the house. At the same time, the void connects the family.
There is a symbolic tower-shaped element standing through the house. Kitchen, bathroom and toilets are packed into the tower, utilizing existing pipe box. We placed new grating stairs climbing around the tower to create some place to stay at various levels. With the new circulation and spatial device, the family can create and enjoy various scenes of their daily life.
Photography by Takumi Ota
Products You May Like
- Luxurious Apartment by Shenzhen Qianxun Design
- Dnipro City Apartment by Tobi Architects
- FAV Residence by UNIRE Arquitetura Engenharia e Design
- Via Sistina Apartment by Serena Romanò
- Residence G by W&Li Design
- Apartment in Kiev by U-Style
- Loft Apartment by Dita Luarasi Abdiu
- Gothenburg Apartment by Bjurfors Göteborg
- Industrial Chic Apartment by Simonian Rosenbaum Architects
- Beniowskiego Apartment by Raca Architekci