Matilda Residence by JUO Studio
Situated in Perth, Australia, this single-storey residence was completely redesigned by JUO Studio.
Description by JUO Studio
The existing single storey semi-detached residence was an old brick and metal roofed house in the Federation Italianate style constructed in 1903. The integrity of the original structure was very high, with only minor improvements to the rear of the property since its original construction. The intention of the design was to restore and celebrate the character of the existing residence, while adding a modern extension to the rear to create an architecturally appealing 3 bedroom home.
The extent of new works was designed to create clear separation and distinction between the old and new, while maintaining the character of the area and the low height profile of the street. The old and new structures are articulated through contrasting materials and a change in level helping to distinguish the morphosis from one space to the next.
A dislocated white box hovers in the air, providing shading to the fully glazed ground floor living spaces, which have been aligned with the existing house and orientated to take advantage of the northern aspect while flowing out unto a sun-filled courtyard space.
A separate form abuts the rear right of way to house a garage which also provides a much desired roof deck off the master bedroom upstairs with city views. Fixed aluminium vertical louvres to the master bedroom windows and structured planting around the deck help to provide visual privacy.
Photography by Kelly Bucksey
- Los Altos Residence by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Apartment in Barcelona by Cometa Architects
- Coldwater Canyon Residence by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
- Elliot Road Home by Klopper and Davis Architects
- E2 Apartment by Tchenguelieva Staynov Architects
- Casa N by Cheng Franco Arquitectos
- 3ShoeBox House by Ofis Arhitekti
- Casa Kae by Soco Interiors
- House Remodel by Elton R Construction
- House in Goiânia by Leo Romano