Carpenter Residence by KEM Studio
This modern three-storey single family residence is situated in West Plaza, Kansas City, United States.
It was designed in 2014 by KEM Studio.
Description by KEM Studio
After living in a condo in Kansas City’s River Market district, Tad and Jessica Carpenter set out to find a piece of land to build their dream home. The site the chose is in the West Plaza area, directly off of a large park and is a narrow corner lot with southern exposure. They wanted to keep the feel of a loft in their new home and incorporate Tad’s home office.
The budget was modest. We paid particular attention to keeping framing and processes standard while maximizing their potential. The design maximizes the lot responds to the corner with an extruded balcony that has a slight angle on the front facade and the roof, exaggerating the corner, forcing the perspective and orienting you toward the park. The inside of the extrusion is clad in stained cedar adding warmth and further emphasizing the cantilever. Given that the grade falls to the south and the tall floor to floor heights, the house will tower over the site giving them a panoramic view of the park and neighborhood from the balcony. Tad’s office is located in the basement on the south corner, opening up to the street and good natural light. The concrete foundation extends and wraps around to create an exterior courtyard and entry to his office. Every effort was made to connect both the inside to outside, and their work and personal lifestyles.
Photography courtesy of KEM Studio
- Los Altos Residence by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Healdsburg House by Dotter & Solfjeld Architecture + Design
- Modern House by Mondo Builders
- Ponce Davis Residence by Choeff Levy Fischman
- Coldwater Canyon Residence by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
- Elliot Road Home by Klopper and Davis Architects
- Casa Pinto by Insite Architetture
- 3:2 House by MÉTODO
- Itamabuca House by Arquitetura Gui Mattos
- Noho Loft by Motiani Design