Montee Karp by Patrick Tighe Architecture
Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, this contemporary single family house is situated in Malibu, California, United States.
It was designed by Patrick Tighe Architecture.
Description by Patrick Tighe Architecture
The 2200 sq. ft. residence is located on a severe hillside site in Malibu overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The project is an extensive remodel of an existing post-and-beam home in need of a structural, programmatic and environmental upgrade. The residence is re-envisioned for the 21st century.
The existing roof geometry is accentuated creating a language of faceted surfaces. The articulated volume of the building’s front facade extends indoors to define the interior spaces, resulting in a dematerialization of the roof, wall and floor planes. A forced perspective is created, framing the extraordinary views out to the Santa Monica Bay.
The minimal, gallery-like living space is designed to accommodate the client’s extensive collection of contemporary art. Display niches, lighting and the configuration of the spaces are planned to enhance the experience of viewing the art.
The stair has cantilevering steel treads, each with a custom laser-cut pattern. Light from the skylight above filters through the perforated stair to project an ever-changing texture of shadow and light, enlivening the walls and floor.
A grand entry door made of a stainless steel tube frame marks the threshold into the relatively small house. The 10’ high door makes use of a hydraulic pivot and a concealed magnetic locking device.
Photography by Art Gray Photography / Bran Arifin Photography
- House in Houston by StudioMET Architects
- Gothic Cottage by Daniel Contelmo Architects
- Country Contemporary by Amber Hodgins Design
- Lakestone Residence by Design Evolution Enterprises
- Cubic Cave by Ris Interior Design
- McAlpin Loft by Ryan Duebber Architect
- Midcentury Modern by Mathison | Mathison Architects
- Two-Story House by ONI Architects
- Chameleon Residence in Singapore
- Ivanhoe House by Kavellaris Urban Design