House Rosebank by MAKE
Redesigned in 2014 by MAKE, this private residence is situated in Kew, Melbourne, Australia.
Description by MAKE
This project involved the renovation of a substantial Edwardian house in Kew. New rear living spaces were needed that were better matched to the generous proportions of the existing house, taking advantage of the sunny rear garden and resolving a difficult connection with the existing pool.
It was important, that the new addition respects the existing house with a clear definition between old and new. Charcoal bricks were the obvious choice to sit next to the solid red brick home. The form has been conceived as a shifting volume that recedes in the centre and then rises up to wrap around the existing house, opening up to the north corner of the garden and giving varied and generous ceiling heights internally.
This is a modest project that seeks to simply enhance the enjoyment of home life for our clients. Simplicity of planning, durability of material selections and seeking out spatial solutions that are about advocating life’s pleasures are the main drivers for the design. As an alternative to the ‘big box on the back’ approach, these spaces are humble, intimate and designed with the idea of quality over quantity.
Photography by Peter Bennetts
Products You May Like
- House in Dolev by 1:1 One To One Design Studio
- The Pianist’s Home by XS Studio
- Private House in Costa Rica by Mare Design Center
- South Yarra Apartments by AM Architecture
- Casa Vista al Lago by Grupo Arquitectura
- Jazz Up Residence by SWG Studio
- Camden by Brandon Architects
- Villa Cesis by Schüco Sverige
- Bateman Residence by Glenvill Homes
- Ranger Ridge by Giulietti Schouten Architects