DIYA Residence by SPASM Design Architects
Located in Ahmedabad, India, this contemporary two-storey residence was designed in 2016 by SPASM Design Architects.
Description by SPASM Design Architects
Ahmedabad is predominantly dry through the year, though it does rain occasionally during monsoon months, from late June to August. The clients a young couple with a daughter of 9 and their parents, contacted us for a family home.
Pre-existing trees, and a large lawn, prompted the exact positioning of the built form, the lower level, weaves spaces around trees, retaining all 284 of them. Several foundations were carefully positioned and HAND DUG to preserve roots, and the trees became generators of specific vistas and open to sky courtyards resulting in a FORMLESS LABYRINTH OF INTERCONNECTED SPACES.
ARRIVAL is announced by a 16 meters column free span canopy, which creates a 2.4 meters high entry space, bound by vertical pivoting wooden louvers. This FILTER like space, allows breezes to freely flow through to the main courtyard beyond, and frames an existing NEEM tree as a sculpture, a powerful presence of nature is sensed throughout the house. The architecture deploys DIFFERENT STRATEGIES, to mitigate the intense heat.
Photography by Photographix
- House in Brescia by Claudia Pelizzari Interior Design
- Berkshire Residence by MATHISON | MATHISON ARCHITECTS
- Underhill Residence by Bates Masi Architects
- Kits Beach Home by Form Collective
- Residence in Windsor by Brininstool + Lynch
- Casa AB by e|arquitectos
- Nalu Boutique Hotel by Studio Saxe
- Cozy Loft by ONI Architects
- Ascaya Residence by SB Architects
- Apartment in Boston by Innovative Collaborations