Beyond House by Ben Callery Architects
This inspiring terrace house located in Melbourne, Australia, was designed in 2015 by Ben Callery Architects.
Description by Ben Callery Architects
With Beyond house we seek to stretch the boundaries of the typical terrace house. The existing heritage house was south-facing, dark, cold, narrow and overshadowed by neighbouring walls on both side boundaries. It’s owners, a family of three, were detached from the world beyond. They are serious about sustainability and wanted the new addition to be naturally comfortable, using sun for heating, breezes for cooling, water harvesting, solar power, recycled materials (even re-using the old kitchen!) and integrating and indoor clothes-airer. We looked beyond the site constraints and beyond the typical spatial boundaries within a terrace house’s rooms and levels.
Through the insertion of central void, adjacent to a multi-purpose studio space, opening onto a roof deck, the occupants engage with the world beyond – the sun, breezes, sky and trees. Internal planters and many carefully placed openable windows (internal and external) bring the external environment in from beyond. Rooms are openable to share light, breezes and views across the void. These elements break down the barriers typically within and around a terrace house to create social connections between occupants unified by the flexible open spaces and visual connections to the sky, tree-tops and now visible Ruckers Hill community beyond.
Photography courtesy of Ben Callery Architects
Products You May Like
- FAV Residence by UNIRE Arquitetura Engenharia e Design
- Rio Mau House by Raulino Silva
- The Barnhaus by Residential Attitudes
- Tiburon Bay Residence by Nicolehollis
- Courtyard House by Architecture Paradigm
- Casa D by Pauhof Architekten
- Mamaroneck House by SPG Architects
- Treeside Residence by Faulkner Architects
- Beniowskiego Apartment by Raca Architekci
- Mount Martha Residence by Clancy Constructions