House G by Maxwan Architects + Urbanists
Maxwan Architects + Urbanists turned an old barn located in the Netherlands into a beautiful single family residence.
Description by Maxwan Architects + Urbanists
Our clients had bought an old barn on a beautiful 2ha site bordering the river Linge. We were asked to help realize their dream of a large kitchen living room where they could relax, entertain friends and organize wine tasting sessions for their customers. In the past, the previous owners had already realized an extension by simply extruding the high barn, adding 10 meters, in two floors. At our first visit we found the house difficult to inhabit. Most strikingly, virtually no relation existed to the beautiful landscape surrounding the house. All façade openings were too small, in the wrong place, or both. We proposed to invert the layout of the house, moving the offices and storage space to occupy the recent extension and the private spaces to the old barn. A large slit was cut into the barn roof to bring in light. The final touch was a large piece of furniture that would serve as kitchen, storage, stairs and library all at once.
- Casa JMG by Luca Zanaroli
- Podlich Home by Rui Rosa Designs
- House in San Francisco by Vaso Peritos Interior Design
- White House by In2
- Whiteboards Reinvented
- Hi-Rise Condo by Ted Maines Interiors
- Santa Fe Chic by Samuel Design Group
- Apartment in Kiev by DervishGroup
- Kettukallio Cabin by Playa Architects
- Brick House by Clare Cousins Architects