Chalet Lac Gate by Boom Town
Located on the shore of the Gate Lake in Harrington, Canada, this contemporary retreat was designed by Boom Town.
Description by Boom Town
Located on the shore of the Gate Lake, on a slightly sloping land of almost 80 000 pi2, the cottage is located near the border of a mature cedar wooded area with inclined majestic trunks.
Although the footprint of this two-storey building is substantial, the roofs follow the site’s slope in order to minimize the volume and harmonize its integration in the landscape. To access the main entrance, which is located on the superior level, you must pass through an exterior portico protected by a roof.
The inferior level, where the common living areas are located (living room, kitchen, dining room) is at level ground, allowing easy access to the land by many doors on the tree facades near the lake. A large terrace next to the master bedroom offers the clearest view of the lake and plenty of sunlight for the occupants.
The extremities of the two circulation axes, that serve the interior spaces, end with an aperture offering a unique picture of the landscape.
The cottage’s exterior covering is made of stones and cedar, natural and site specific materials. Roofs are covered with zinc finish steel that partially turn toward the façades as a protective case, while letting the beauty of the landscape enter the heart of the project.
Photography by Angus McRitchie
- Black Lodge by Tomislav Soldo
- Sunset House by McLeod Bovell Modern Houses
- Brewery Loft by Whitaker Construction
- River Valley Remodel by Rescom
- Residence in Hollywood Hills by Struere
- Retreat in Sweden by Bjurfors Home
- Rosemary Home by Kohn Shnier Architects
- Summer House by Anttinen Oiva Architects
- Mountain Cottage by Hola Design
- Duplex Apartment by Rosko Family Design