Crump House by Room 11
This compact 1,453 sq ft single level house designed by Room 11 is located on the Australian island of Tasmania.
Description by Room 11
Floating along the sheer slopes of the southern outlet, this compact (135m2) single level house is arranged as an east/west elongated box with all rooms facing North for solar gain, natural light and the expansive view of the Derwent River and the City of Hobart.
Living areas are shaded in summer by both the roof overhang and custom external battened screens that slide the full length of the Northern facade.
Accessed via a southern circulation spine, the internal spaces are divided into private and public areas by a central enclosed deck with a roof void to allow sun and breezes into the depth of the plan. A covered deck to the west provides summer afternoon shade to living areas. The two external decks that break the plan allow for a series of sliding doors and galleries of louvered windows to aid in natural cross ventilation.
Landscape retaining walls are bluestone-spall filled rigid gabion cages that don’t require concrete footings and provide for natural drainage.
This lightweight timber building responds quickly to heating and cooling and is well suited to Tasmania’s temperate climate.
Photography by Jasmin Latona and Ben Hosking
Products You May Like
- FAV Residence by UNIRE Arquitetura Engenharia e Design
- Rio Mau House by Raulino Silva
- The Barnhaus by Residential Attitudes
- Tiburon Bay Residence by Nicolehollis
- Courtyard House by Architecture Paradigm
- Casa D by Pauhof Architekten
- Mamaroneck House by SPG Architects
- Treeside Residence by Faulkner Architects
- Beniowskiego Apartment by Raca Architekci
- Mount Martha Residence by Clancy Constructions