Encino Hills Residence by CZA
Designed by Carlos Zubieta Architecture, this midcentury single family residence is located in Encino Hills, California.
Description by CZA
The site, nestled on the southern edge of Encino Hills, offers unobstructed one hundred and eighty degree views of the San Fernando Valley basin. Once an endless sea of orange orchards is now an endless sprawling metropolis of twinkling lights and emerald lit swimming pools that light up the warm summer nights.
The Owner had just purchased an existing run down mid 40’s stucco box with stubby overhangs, small rooms and a dilapidated pool deck. He asked us to remodel the entire house and add a Master Bedroom Suite. We began the process by surveying the existing structure and developing a program with our client. We identified areas in the existing structure that would be worth saving and integrated into the new design. We relocated the kitchen so it would function as a hinge for the bedroom spaces and living spaces. We opened up the smaller living room and dining room and combined these into one large Great Room, which we increased in height to 12’-0”. We oriented and opened the Great Room, Kitchen and Breakfast Room towards the view and the swimming pool with large picture windows and sliding walls of glass to allow for relaxed indoor / outdoor living as well as to frame the views of the city beyond.
Large overhangs protect the interior spaces from the harsh midday sun. We used light gray walls, gray metal fascias and aluminum garage door panels to create a light, open feel to this hilltop house.
Photography courtesy of CZA
- Los Altos Residence by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Apartment in Barcelona by Cometa Architects
- Coldwater Canyon Residence by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
- E2 Apartment by Tchenguelieva Staynov Architects
- Casa N by Cheng Franco Arquitectos
- 3ShoeBox House by Ofis Arhitekti
- Casa Kae by Soco Interiors
- House Remodel by Elton R Construction
- House in Goiânia by Leo Romano
- Bondi Apartment by Trend Constructions