The Abbotsford Warehouse Apartments by ITN Architects
In Melbourne, Australia, ITN Architects transformed a former Catholic Technical College into two, three storey warehouse apartments.
Description by ITN Architects
Designed by Nigel Grigg, this former Catholic Technical College has been converted into two, three storey warehouse apartments by removing the roof, retaining the lower floors and constructing a new upper floor which has been set back on all sides to create upper decks and balconies.
Many of the former industrial buildings simple details were retained as well as the external walls and lower floors. New elements and materials sit side by side with the old to create contemporary apartments with some old world charm. Old timber workshop welding benches were retained and used for the kitchen island benches with new in situ concrete bench tops added. New columns penetrate the old island benches.
Four metre high windows were converted into the steel and glass front doors and electric garage doors to create an overwhelming effect upon entry, and match the scale of the four metre high ceilings. Old timber columns were removed, repaired and reinstated with concealed steel columns within for strength.
New services such as copper gas pipes and electrical conduits were exposed where suitable and left in their natural state. New Blackbutt hardwood flooring and stairs were used throughout, with stainless steel rod balustrades and steel and glass handrails to the decks.
The site fronts two streets and by subdividing the warehouse back to back across the middle, each apartment gets its own street address and courtyards.
- Apartment in Curitiba by Belotto Scopel Tanaka Arquitetura
- 505 2nd Street Apartment by Ash NYC
- Apartment in Gothenburg by Bjurfors Göteborg
- Home in Valladolid by Estudio Lätt
- Loft in London by David Phillips
- Jaglana Apartment by Raca Architekci
- Apartment in Stockholm by Stylingbolaget
- Apartment Portugal by GDL Arquitetura
- Apartment in Barcelona by Egue y Seta
- Duplex Tibbaut by Raúl Sánchez Architects