Prodromos and Desi Residence by Studio Vardas
This contemporary concrete residence was designed in 2014 by Studio Vardas. It’s situated in Cyprus.
Description by Studio Vardas
The project site is located on a hillside with a steep drop down from road level. Aside from the challenge, the topography affords panoramic views to the sea.
The central concept is the configuration of spaces vertically, taking advantage of the morphology of the site for access, privacy and views. Car access and parking is from street level, with the house unraveling in three levels below, with privacy increasing towards the bottom.
The kitchen, living and dining spaces have access to a swimming pool and terrace, both of which cantilever out of the cliff to the horizon. Secondary functions like storage and bathrooms are located at the deepest part of the plan at each level.
The individual volumes of each storey, the parking, the verandas and the swimming pool are outlined clearly from below, whilst from the street the residence has a discreet presence of a single storey. The parking is covered but open, with vertical timber louvers for shading and security.
Looking at the residence from below, the form seems even more dramatic thanks to the extensive use of fair-face concrete. Large concrete building volumes appear to float from the hill side, creating an unexpected composition that appears to defy gravity.
Products You May Like
- Casa M by Lopez Duplan Arquitectos
- Beyond Residence by SAOTA
- 5th Street Residence by Electric Bowery
- House in Naples by The Decorators Unlimited
- Cove House by Justin Humphrey
- Malcolm Home by Big House Little House
- Vitra Haus by Herzog & de Meuron
- Residence in Knokke-Heist by Luc de Beir
- Como 3 by Refined Edge Homes
- Contemporary Beach House by Beacon Construction Group