Prodromos and Desi Residence by Studio Vardas
This contemporary concrete residence was designed in 2014 by Studio Vardas. It’s situated in Cyprus.
Description by Studio Vardas
The project site is located on a hillside with a steep drop down from road level. Aside from the challenge, the topography affords panoramic views to the sea.
The central concept is the configuration of spaces vertically, taking advantage of the morphology of the site for access, privacy and views. Car access and parking is from street level, with the house unraveling in three levels below, with privacy increasing towards the bottom.
The kitchen, living and dining spaces have access to a swimming pool and terrace, both of which cantilever out of the cliff to the horizon. Secondary functions like storage and bathrooms are located at the deepest part of the plan at each level.
The individual volumes of each storey, the parking, the verandas and the swimming pool are outlined clearly from below, whilst from the street the residence has a discreet presence of a single storey. The parking is covered but open, with vertical timber louvers for shading and security.
Looking at the residence from below, the form seems even more dramatic thanks to the extensive use of fair-face concrete. Large concrete building volumes appear to float from the hill side, creating an unexpected composition that appears to defy gravity.
Products You May Like
- Ruskin Elwood by Fieldwork
- House in Zurich by Meier Architekten
- North Hibiscus House by Borges + Associates Architects
- R+E House by DP+HS architects
- Triplex Apartment by Luigi Rosselli Architects
- Upper Rockridge Residence by AAA Architecture
- Cirqua Apartments by BKK Architects
- Martis Camp 141 by Faulkner Architects
- Villa Sotogrande by Patricia Darch
- Mount Si Modern by Rose-Leigh Design