What Is the Typical Cost for Water Damage Restoration?
There’s no denying that water damage is extremely common among US households. In fact, according to statistics, 14,000 US citizens experience a water damage emergency at home each day. Even worse, almost 98% of basements will experience water damage during their lifetime. Luckily, there are hundreds of USA water damage companies that are eager to help those affected by water damage. But how much should you pay for water damage restoration, and what determines the price?
Factors that Determine the Cost for Water Damage Restoration
When it comes to water damage restoration costs, the overall cost varies depending on a number of factors. From the type of water to the size of the area, the following factors influence the price of water damage restoration services.
Type of Water
There are three main types of water in water restoration that affect the cleanup price:
– Clean water is water that comes from the rain or home pipes. Since it usually doesn’t have any chemicals or contaminants, cleaning it up costs about $3.75 per square foot.
– Gray water comes from appliances such as dishwashers or washing machines and takes much more time to clean. As a result, the average gray water cleanup cost is $4.50 per square foot.
– Black water comes from a contaminated source like sewer pipes. Due to extreme contamination, the cleaning crew needs to use special cleaning agents and protective equipment. Naturally, black water cleanup is the most expensive and can even reach $7.00 per square foot.
Amount of Water Damage
The amount of water damage affects both the cost and the duration of the repairs. For instance, dealing with moisture is easy and is much cheaper than extensive water damage. Similarly, if your drywall is affected, the cost of water damage restoration goes up.
The size of the affected area is an important part of the overall cost for water damage restoration. As an example, most bathroom leaks are easy to fix and will set you back $350. On the other hand, basement floods water restoration can cost up to $5,000.
Additional Restoration Work
The more work the water damage restoration company has to do, the more money you will end up paying. Additional services, such as changing the drywall and removing the flooring, also add up. This increases the total restoration costs.
Average Water Damage Restoration Cost
As previously mentioned, most water damage restoration companies will ask for anywhere between $3.75 and $7.00 per square foot. So, if your house has an average size of 1,500 square feet, you will have to pay between $5,625 and $10,500 to completely restore it. However, since water damage usually affects one or two rooms, you may end up paying somewhere around $3,000.
Water Damage Prevention
The cause of water damage you might not have come across is always about the plumbing Issues. Beyond that, hard water is the fundamental factor to cause a build-up of limescale in your pipes, preventing water to flow through them with concerning blockages, then generating the plumbing issues to get you water damage. Before letting water damage burning a hole in your pocket, understanding hard water is a good start.
Water Damage Class
Generally speaking, water damage professionals classify the type of damage into four main classes. By using those four classes, it is much easier to understand the extent of the damage and the restoration costs.
– Class 1 damage usually affects a small area of the house, such as your bathroom sink or toilet. And while class 1 jobs can be fixed with minimal professional help, they cost less than $200.
– Class 2 is when an entire room, including its walls and floor, suffers water damage. Since class 2 jobs require additional materials and labor, the cost is between $500 and $1,000.
– Class 3 includes damage from overhead leaks, affecting the ceiling, walls, and floors. A class 3 job is hard to deal with, and its price can reach $2,000.
– Class 4 is the most severe and involves a natural disaster such as flooding or a hurricane. At this stage, water has saturated bricks, hardwood, stones, or similar structural materials. As a result, restoration costs can range from $2,000 and $10,000, depending on the materials.
Overall, water can do a lot of damage to any house, no matter its age, structural integrity, or quality. However, you can always rely on water damage cleanup companies to handle the aftermath. And while their price varies, we know you can find an affordable and effective pro with our tips.- by Matt Watts