Case Inlet Retreat by MW Works
Designed in 2012 by MW Works, this modern retreat is located in Gig Harbor, Washington, United States.
Description by MW Works
Nestled into a forested slope along the eastern edge of the Case Inlet, this small retreat opens to a western view of the Olympic Mountains and the Puget Sound. Anchored by a weathered cedar clad bedroom wing, a bold concrete cantilever projects the living and dining into the dense forest and toward the view. An ipe deck slips from inside the kitchen into an open meadow to the south, separated only by large sliding glass doors extending the sense of interior directly to the outdoors. A broad flat roof hovers high above the living spaces creating the feeling that one is sitting outdoors amidst the trees. Smaller, thoughtfully placed apertures define the exterior of the bedroom volume, along with a single large opening belonging to the master bath to give the users a ritual of bathing within the forest. A balance of simple clean lines and rugged low maintenance materials, this modest retreat is a welcome sanctuary from the city.
Photography by Jeremy Bittermann
- Lacau Residence by Upstairs Studio Architecture
- Blue Lake Retreat by Lake Flato Architects
- Modern Oasis by Stofft Cooney Architects
- Cohen Residence by Abramson Teiger Architects
- Glenhaven Residence by Abramson Teiger Architects
- Home in Park City by Magleby Construction
- Camp Run-A-Muck Cabin by Pearson Design Group
- Aspen Home by DESIGN STUDIO Interior Solutions
- Foxtail House by Pearson Design Group
- West Dry Creek Residence by Adeeni Design Group