Montauk Beach House by Space Exploration
Designed by Space Exploration, this three-storey beach house is situated in Montauk, New York, United States.
Description by Space Exploration
This three-story, split level house for a young family is nestled atop a densely wooded bluff in Montauk, New York, surrounded by sumac and spruce trees. Space Exploration designed an open kitchen on the top floor of the house to act as a flexible social center for the house, and to maximize the site’s dramatic views of Fort Pond and Fort Pond Bay. Floor-to-ceiling sliding doors and a large rectangular skylight flood the space with an abundance of natural light.
Space Exploration employed a material palette of light, neutral colors and pale woods, which combine to create a tranquil, airy atmosphere that showcase an eclectic collection of furniture and objects, collected by the owners during travels to Morocco, Europe and Central America. A lone primitive wooden dining chair, abandoned by the house’s previous owners, sits happily in the mix.
In order to preserve an honest, informal feeling in the architecture, Space Exploration chose to expose and express the house’s structure wherever possible, and conceived a new wooden stair that mirrors the simple construction vernacular of the floor framing. On the ground floor, a new recreational solarium featuring floors finished with glossy white epoxy opens directly onto the property’s sprawling grounds.
Photography courtesy of Space Exploration
- Country Home by Andre Tchelistcheff Architects
- Taylor Residence by In Situ Studio
- North Bay Road Residence by Choeff Levy Fischman
- Ross Peak Ranch by Highline Partners
- House in Dallas by Classic Modern Design Build
- Miami Beach Villa by Associated Design
- Beach House by The Anderson Studio of Architecture & Design
- Waterfront Elegance by DKOR Interiors
- Modern Vacation Home by Swatt | Miers Architects
- Brentwood Residence by Studio William Hefner