Madison Residence by KEM Studio
Designed in 2013 by KEM Studio, this 1,200 sq ft single family house is situated in Kansas City, Kansas, United States.
Description by KEM Studio
The goal of this project was to break conventional notions of what we “need” in a house and design for the clients specific lifestyle. KEM STUDIO went through a comprehensive research process to define the parameters of the project, analyze the clients lifestyle and develop a clear idea for the project. The big idea centered around three principles. First was to be modern, minimal and sustainable: focus on the experience with volume, light and interactions more than square footage. Second was to emphasis the interaction of the house with the site and hillside: draw from the owner’s rural background and her unconventional, creative interpretations. Third was to be super-efficient: the budget is very modest and the clients desire is to have very little waste, a high level of sustainability and low maintenance. The design met those goals and responded to her lifestyle as a writer, musician, runner, cinephile and creative spirit. Functionally it translates into a 1,200 sf, 2 bedroom, 2 bath home on a modest budget.
Photography courtesy of KEM Studio
- Interior for a Young Family by Diff.Studio
- Country Home by Andre Tchelistcheff Architects
- Taylor Residence by In Situ Studio
- North Bay Road Residence by Choeff Levy Fischman
- Bilateral House by Commute Design
- Ross Peak Ranch by Highline Partners
- House in Dallas by Classic Modern Design Build
- Miami Beach Villa by Associated Design
- Sticks and Stones Home by Luigi Rosselli Architects
- Beach House by The Anderson Studio of Architecture & Design