Shou Sugi Ban House by Schwartz and Architecture
This modern residence high above Silicon Valley, was extended and completely redesigned by Schwartz and Architecture.
Description by Schwartz and Architecture
This project, an extensive remodel and addition to an existing modern residence high above Silicon Valley, was inspired by dominant images and textures from the site: boulders, bark, and leaves. We created a two-story addition clad in traditional Japanese Shou Sugi Ban burnt wood siding that anchors home and site. Natural textures also prevail in the cosmetic remodeling of all the living spaces. The new volume adjacent to an expanded kitchen contains a family room and staircase to an upper guest suite.
The original home was a joint venture between Min | Day as Design Architect and Burks Toma Architects as Architect of Record and was substantially completed in 1999. In 2005, Min | Day added the swimming pool and related outdoor spaces. Schwartz and Architecture (SaA) began work on the addition and substantial remodel of the interior in 2009, completed in 2015.
Photography by Matthew Millman
- Piney Point Estate by Marie Flanigan Interiors
- Bayswater House by Trinity Interior Design
- Cumberland Foreside Estate by Nicola's Home
- Mountain Retreat by Peace Design
- Manson Barn by SKB Architects
- The Quest by Strom Architects
- Dual Concepts by T.M Design Studio
- Edgewood House by Menendez Architects
- Mountain Drive Residence by Blackbird Architects
- Crescent Drive Home by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects