Cloverdale Residence by Turnbull Griffin Haesloop
Designed in 2015 by Turnbull Griffin Haesloop, this sustainable single family house is located above Cloverdale, California.
Description by Turnbull Griffin Haesloop
The site is a vineyard located above Cloverdale on a steep south slope overlooking the valley below. Stands of mature oaks and rock outcroppings frame the existing pool and house site. A 1970s kit log home with few connections to the land or views occupied the ideal location above the pool. Our strategy was to utilize all of the existing site improvements and reuse the wood from the existing kit log structure to build a new house that would open out to the land and take advantage of the expansive views and south facing exposure.
Committed to sustainable practices, the owners requested a house that would have minimal impact on the site and be easy to use. Memories of growing up with ample screened porches led to a strategy that incorporated the screened-in living space as an integral part of the house. Including the porch in the body of the house allowed it to double as an entry to the guest bedrooms, reducing the need for circulation and the overall footprint of the house. All of the interior and exterior wood paneling, trim and decking was milled down from the logs of the original kit house.
Photography by Matthew Millman
Products You May Like
- Living Mansarda by BFA - Barbara Fassoni Architects
- Lazadenas Apartment by Molins Design
- Cabbagetown Coach House by Core Architects
- Contemporary Home by Kata Koppany
- Glass and Stone Oasis by Merle
- Familny Apartment by Za-Za Interior Design
- Eichler X-100 by Lucile Glessner Design
- PURO Kraków Kazimierz by Conran and Partners
- Mountain House by Gangoly & Kristiner Architekten
- Apartment in Barcelona by Egue Y Seta