Ridge House by Marko Simcic and Brian Broster
Located on Pender Island in Canada, this contemporary 2,500 sq ft retreat was designed by Marko Simcic and Brian Broster.
Description by Marko Simcic and Brian Broster
Our response to this site and our client’s relationship to it was to imbue this 2,500 square foot retreat with a sense of floating over the ridge rather than being anchored to it. Having a strong relationship to both the north and south orientations characterized by openness and distance together with steep grades, this site presented a fulcrum from which the roof emerged as the project’s organizing feature.
The large folding roof form became the primary enclosure of space—it orients, focuses and extends the experiences; the outdoor cantilevers protect from rain, wind and summer sun while capturing reflected light from the ocean; the ceiling reflects installed lighting and modulates acoustics providing conditions for the client’s musical performances; and run-off is directed to a north collection/reflecting pool.
Beyond this, the roof met the site and clients with an aesthetic companion—as both a geological and musical metaphor.
Photography courtesy of Marko Simcic, Brian Broster, Sotheby’s
- Los Altos Residence by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Aranya Farmhouse by Patel-Vadodaria
- Olion Villa AA by Ark4lab of Architecture
- Apartment in Barcelona by Cometa Architects
- Coldwater Canyon Residence by Ehrlich Yanai Rhee Chaney Architects
- E2 Apartment by Tchenguelieva Staynov Architects
- Casa N by Cheng Franco Arquitectos
- 3ShoeBox House by Ofis Arhitekti
- Casa Kae by Soco Interiors
- House Remodel by Elton R Construction