Grandview House by RAS-A
Located in Manhattan Beach, California, this amazing modern single family home was designed by RAS-A.
Description by RAS-A
The Grandview House is located in the Los Angeles coastal city of Manhattan Beach, California. Having the constraints of a long and narrow lot, the solution is a long and slender building that is arranged around a courtyard. Carved out of the southern interior side of the lot, the courtyard becomes a large outdoor living space which brings sun light into the core of the house and allows the interiors to spill outdoors.
The original house on the site, built in 1927, was hand demolished to the foundations. Its footprint and silhouette are recycled into the new design as a smooth troweled white stucco box that contains the homes public spaces. It is in sharp contrast to the dark charred cedar that clads the private portions of the house. Bricks from an old patio on the property are repurposed into an outdoor fireplace and grill. The interiors have concrete flooring, maple stairs, walnut casework, and ceilings of hemlock which match the sauna.
A passive solar design, consisting of operable windows and ventilating light wells arranged to take advantage of constant ocean breezes, keeps the house cool in the summer without the need for an A/C unit. A hydronic radiant floor system provides clean heat for the house including the outdoor patio allowing year round use of the courtyard.
Photography by Chang Kyun Kim
- North Hibiscus House by Borges + Associates Architects
- White Apartment by Yael Perry
- Casa SM by Davide Conconi
- Triplex Apartment by Luigi Rosselli Architects
- Yarraville House by Perversi-Brooks Architects
- Apartment in Odessa by Fateeva Design
- Upper Rockridge Residence by AAA Architecture
- Kenwood Residence by Upscale Construction
- Cube Apartment by Arjaan De Feyter
- Camberwell House by AM Architecture