Grandview House by RAS-A
Located in Manhattan Beach, California, this amazing modern single family home was designed by RAS-A.
Description by RAS-A
The Grandview House is located in the Los Angeles coastal city of Manhattan Beach, California. Having the constraints of a long and narrow lot, the solution is a long and slender building that is arranged around a courtyard. Carved out of the southern interior side of the lot, the courtyard becomes a large outdoor living space which brings sun light into the core of the house and allows the interiors to spill outdoors.
The original house on the site, built in 1927, was hand demolished to the foundations. Its footprint and silhouette are recycled into the new design as a smooth troweled white stucco box that contains the homes public spaces. It is in sharp contrast to the dark charred cedar that clads the private portions of the house. Bricks from an old patio on the property are repurposed into an outdoor fireplace and grill. The interiors have concrete flooring, maple stairs, walnut casework, and ceilings of hemlock which match the sauna.
A passive solar design, consisting of operable windows and ventilating light wells arranged to take advantage of constant ocean breezes, keeps the house cool in the summer without the need for an A/C unit. A hydronic radiant floor system provides clean heat for the house including the outdoor patio allowing year round use of the courtyard.
Photography by Chang Kyun Kim
- Jersey Shore by P. Smith Design
- Residence in Moscow by MOPS Architecture Studio
- Townhouse Renovation by Studio Geiger Architecture
- Spyglass Hill House by KRS Development
- Church Transformation by Scrafano Architects
- Swann Wynd Bridge House by NAHB
- East Hampton Home by Timothy Godbold
- Industrial Modern by Boswell Construction
- Casa Canto Cholul by Taller Estilo Arquitectura
- Home in Preston Hollow by Linda Fritschy Interior Design