Morrison House by Chris Elliott Architects
Designed by Chris Elliott Architects, this contemporary two-storey house is situated in Sydney, Australia.
Description by Chris Elliott Architects
A protected and private timber box sits on top of a glass box in this renovation of a Sydney semi.
Small, dark, rear rooms were demolished to make way for a large, airy, light space containing living, dining and kitchen. Two small steps create a high ceiling and mediate the connection to the rear garden. A staircase across the original space at entrance level allows an unobstructed lower living area. Large sliding doors open up to a wrap-around timber deck with built-in barbeque.
The cedar-clad second floor has two new large bedrooms, an all-blue tiled bathroom and a walk-in wardrobe. Sliding doors in the master bedroom create a balcony effect with excellent cross ventilation and ocean views. North facing slot windows bring in winter warmth whilst sun hoods create shade in summer. Sustainability features include passive solar and local materials.
By careful spatial configuration the clients received a unique architect-designed home, double the space within the same footprint, more light, warmth and breezes, all for less than the price of an ‘off the shelf’ plan.
Photography by Richard Glover
- Belsize Park House by Roselind Wilson Design
- J House by Pitsou Kedem Architects
- Casa RO by Elías Rizo Arquitectos
- Country Estate by Teresa Bürgisser Sancristoforo
- House Under Eaves by MRTN Architects
- House in Toronto by Men At Work General Contractors
- Home in Taiwan by MORI Design
- House in London by extrArchitecture
- Casa M. by Comfort_Architecten
- Home in Sydney by Mary Ellen Hudson Architects