Morrison House by Chris Elliott Architects
Designed by Chris Elliott Architects, this contemporary two-storey house is situated in Sydney, Australia.
Description by Chris Elliott Architects
A protected and private timber box sits on top of a glass box in this renovation of a Sydney semi.
Small, dark, rear rooms were demolished to make way for a large, airy, light space containing living, dining and kitchen. Two small steps create a high ceiling and mediate the connection to the rear garden. A staircase across the original space at entrance level allows an unobstructed lower living area. Large sliding doors open up to a wrap-around timber deck with built-in barbeque.
The cedar-clad second floor has two new large bedrooms, an all-blue tiled bathroom and a walk-in wardrobe. Sliding doors in the master bedroom create a balcony effect with excellent cross ventilation and ocean views. North facing slot windows bring in winter warmth whilst sun hoods create shade in summer. Sustainability features include passive solar and local materials.
By careful spatial configuration the clients received a unique architect-designed home, double the space within the same footprint, more light, warmth and breezes, all for less than the price of an ‘off the shelf’ plan.
Photography by Richard Glover
Products You May Like
- Contemporary Home by Kata Koppany
- Glass and Stone Oasis by Merle
- Familny Apartment by Za-Za Interior Design
- PURO Kraków Kazimierz by Conran and Partners
- Mountain House by Gangoly & Kristiner Architekten
- Apartment in Barcelona by Egue Y Seta
- Container House by Matt Mcleod
- Line Graph House by Zubu Design Associates
- Portola Valley Barn by Walker Warner Architects
- Apartment in Israel by Dana Shaked