Mountain Drive Residence by Blackbird Architects
Located in Santa Barbara, California, this mid-century house was designed in 2012 by Blackbird Architects.
Description by Blackbird Architects
This home features elegant living within a deceptively simple building plan. An exposed timber frame of columns and tapered beams support a gently sloping roof opening to 180 degree ocean and island views. A generous curved roof overhang creates outdoor living space for dining, relaxation and play. Open kitchen, dining and living areas form the center of the house separating the master suite from bedrooms, den, and service spaces. The owner’s art collection and beautiful moroccan doors were featured in the the design, and interior finishes were selected for elegance and function. The building’s facade is an interplay of materials, combining plaster, weathering steel, large sliding doors, and a variety of punched as well as clerestory windows. A detached garage with artist workshop compliment the home’s amenities. Fire-safe design and detailing helps protect the home from wildfire, with native and drought-tolerant landscaping creating inviting outdoor gardens for recreation.
Photography by Matt Wier
- 505 2nd Street Apartment by Ash NYC
- Home in Valladolid by Estudio Lätt
- Skýli Cabin by Utopia
- House in Ascot Vale by FGR Architects
- Residence in the Galilee by Golany Architects
- Lumishell by Christophe Benichou
- Barton Hills Residence by Brett Grinkmeyer Architecture
- Private Residence by Duet Design Group
- Apartment Portugal by GDL Arquitetura
- Tarumi House by Fujihara Architects