Lake Joseph Boathouse by Altius Architecture
Modern wooden boathouse designed by Altius Architecture located at the Lake Joseph, in Forestburgh, New York.
Description by Altius Architecture
The design of this boathouse, on the shore of Lake Joseph, is driven by stringent guidelines prescribed in the zoning by-laws. The project carves into the pitched roof tradition of the area and extends views out towards the lake, taking a modern twist on the established building typology. This starting point sparked an iterative design process involving building orientation, openings, sunlight and materiality, to negotiate a number of factors in the design of a simple dwelling with dynamic spatial qualities. In a site-specific approach, views are directed towards desired locations along the lake while adding headroom for the programmatic functions beneath the pitched roof. Elements of addition in the rectangular dormers allow the boathouse to inhabit the maximum building area, while balanced with an element of subtraction in the second floor deck. This outdoor space, carved out of the roof, is an extension of the interior living area, where the dwelling is perceived to be larger than zoning by-law will allow. The elevations are considered as a wrapping of material integrating openings and cut outs of contrasting material adding to the dialogue between building elements.
- Modern Bachelor by Contour Interior Design
- Cowrie Road Home by MG Design & Building
- Wooden Cottage by Elena Sherbakova
- SilverWoodHouse by 3r Ernesto Pereira
- Hause for Julia and Björn by Architekten Innauer Matt
- Villa G by Audrius Ambrasas Architects
- Wooden Interior by Coblonal Arquitectura
- 14 Facades' House by M Architecture
- White House by In2
- Fisher Island by Associated Design Co