Janus Residence by Kennerly Architecture & Planning
Contemporary residence designed in 2012 by San Francisco-based Kennerly Architecture & Planning featuring two distinct faces.
Description by Kennerly Architecture & Planning
A house on a through-block lot responds to its dichotic circumstance with two distinct faces – A restored Victorian facade addresses the more formal northern frontage, and a modern one opens to the south across the other – an ad hoc row of homes, cottages and small apartment buildings.
The old facade is an elegant mask fronting three original rooms of handsome proportion. The modern face is an open gable framing two levels of family rooms with operable glass walls and a syncopated screen of white recyclable plastic.
Inside, old and new blend together in an open suite of rooms. Upstairs, the existing attic was mined for unused space to create quirky gabled bedrooms each with its own character.
- Casa JMG by Luca Zanaroli
- Apartment in Vladivostok by ONI Architects
- Podlich Home by Rui Rosa Designs
- House in San Francisco by Vaso Peritos Interior Design
- Modern Bachelor by Contour Interior Design
- Cowrie Road Home by MG Design & Building
- Fisher Island by Associated Design Co
- Marin Residence by Dawson & Clinton
- Cozy Home by Ruetemple
- Loft in San Diego by Hawkins + Hawkins Architects