Weatherboard House by Statkus Architecture
This weatherboard house situated in Northcote, Australia was recently redesigned by Statkus Architecture.
Description by Statkus Architecture
The project is comprised of a renovation to an existing weatherboard house in Northcote. Previously rated at 1.5 stars, the house is now a 5.3-star energy rated home, with an extensive internal reconfiguration of spaces along with external decking and a new canopy. Once stage two is complete, the house will exceed a 6 star rating.
Retaining all the external walls and roof lines in their current configurations, with new window and door openings along with a major interior reconfiguration of walls and spaces, the renovation has dramatically increased the home’s engagement with the environment. This strategy has improved the livability, accessibility, and year- round comfort levels through the introduction of large north facing double glazing, combined with increased thermal mass, passive lighting, heating, and cooling strategies.
This project embraces the Aussie backyard from the house, not as a celebration of the suburban dream, but rather through the lens of the marathon race.
The sometimes grueling, but rewarding experience of competing in and completing such an event could be considered as analogous to the family unit, throughout its daily, weekly, and annual life cycles and growth. The north yard facing glazed facade — the threshold between inside and outside — is considered the beckoning finish line, both the end and the beginning.
- Elliot Road Home by Klopper and Davis Architects
- Retreat in Hälleviksstrand by Decorate
- Bondi Apartment by Trend Constructions
- Cereal Abode by Pilbrow and Partners
- Contemporary House by Mr Home Staging & Design
- Highett House by JFKDESiGN
- Maroubra House by BJB Architects
- Contemporary House by Carrera by Design
- Bougainvillea Row House by Luigi Rosselli Architects
- Trail House by Zen Architects