House in Desert by Wendell Burnette Architects
This contemporary courtyard house designed in 2013 by Wendell Burnette Architects is located in Scottsdale, Arizona, United States.
Description by Wendell Burnette Architects
Mass, Hollowed Mass, Faceted Mass, Fissured Mass, Mass that cracks open and hinges apart informed how we proceeded to give this home its defining qualities from the courtyard plan, to the split-massing, all the way down to the fittings and fixtures that one touches with the hand or eye. For instance, the millwork is volumetric, only revealing contents within when a contoured bronze void is touched with the fingertips, allowing the mass to be gently cracked open. Long fissures in the mill-finish steel plate ceiling reveal light while maintaining the quality of nothingness at night. Mass and the improbability of delicacy discovered within it is what give the Sonoran Desert its remarkable presence. As our clients and their guests move from the mass of this landform into our engawa, we hope they will always rediscover with a hint of surprise the preciousness of things.
- Shirley House by Yamamar Design
- Home in Winchester by Ström Architects
- Ocean Eye by Benjamin Garcia Saxe
- Jungle House by Studio Mk27
- Manzeum by Modus Studio
- Mid-Century Home by Giulietti Schouten Architects
- Tennis Terraces by Gras
- Private Residence by Lewandowski Architects
- House in Ibiza by Metroarea
- Clyde North House by Carlisle Homes