Zig Zag House by Dan Brunn Architecture
Sleek modern 4,600 sq ft residence situated in Los Angeles, California, United States. It was designed by Dan Brunn Architecture.
Description by Dan Brunn Architecture
The clients requested a sleek, modern home with clean lines, simple maintenance, and resiliency and longevity of materials. A ground floor of poured-in-place concrete provides a solid foundation. Above, the structure appears to levitate. The white cube is broken down geometrically by windows and grey stucco panel doors. On the back façade, this stucco pushes inwards, creating a white frame, further lightening its appearance. In front, a white, ribbon-like north-to-south sweeping façade complements deep and shallow balconies, which ebb and flow forward and backward to mirror facing ocean tides.
Challenges and solutions
The overall aim was balancing natural light and privacy while maximizing indoor space. With corner window walls capped by a large skylight and a two-story wall of glass on one side, the home expands from within. The house’s crowning feature is the massive stairwell. The “cube within a cube” glass and terrazzo staircase allows light to penetrate deep into the house. The landings end just halfway up the flight, creating atypical connections at each level. Through a hidden tension rod, the stairs appear to float, allowing the user to experience the space in 360 degrees.
A third-floor sanctuary near the master bedroom deck is visible from inside, satisfying needs for privacy and expansive outward views while bringing the outdoors in. Deep decks on every floor provide protected access to the outdoors.
Photography by Brandon Shigeta
- Mid-Century Home by Giulietti Schouten Architects
- Northcote Home by Pleysier Perkins
- Skyline House by Terry and Terry Architecture
- Riverview House by Nobbs Radford Architects
- Magic Cabinet by Mayan Gabay
- Tree Top Residence by Belzberg Architects
- RM Apartment by Francesc Rifé Studio
- House in Bridgehampton by TA Dumbleton
- Casa Estudio by Intersticial Arquitectura
- Home in Palm Springs by Certified Luxury Builders